Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I should have said....

So here I am, in the little tri-city area, which I thought was pretty big, but in mediation terms is quite small.  I have had many conversations with mediators in the past 6 months, and read many different forums/conversations on Linkedin  and have been told how difficult it is to sustain a career in mediation.  I have been well informed that those who teach mediation classes are not fully telling their students how difficult it is to make a living and that there are few who are able to make a killing off of it but the rest struggle.  Not surprisingly, this doesn't really phase me.  I feel well informed at the risks, I feel well informed that it will be a difficult path, I feel well informed that I'm going to have to work my ass off to get anywhere in this world of mediation.  But guess what...it would be the same with any business that I decide to go for!

One thing that I have come to realize is the lack of awareness that there is about mediation in the area I reside.  There is a lack of awareness of the benefits of the mediation process, the financial benefits of mediation, and a general lack of knowledge of restorative justice/mending relationships.  So what do I do?  I have read everything out there...there are some amazing people that take a lot of time out of their days to help others...Tammy Lenski, Diane Levin , Amanda BucklowJeff Thompson, Cinnie Noble (Just to name a few) who have helped me really sit down and think about the ins and outs of mediation and what it means to be a not just a good mediator, but a great mediator.  I can honestly say I owe them a quite a bit for the wisdom that comes through their fingers and voices

Anyways, all this to say...I have a ton of work to do in my area!  I'm going to have to get out and talk to groups, write articles, shout mediation from the rooftops to get anywhere in this field...it is extremely overwhelming and extremely exciting and I look forward to the challenges ahead!  Stay tuned for more!

mediation awareness

No comments:

Post a Comment